Friday, April 29, 2011

Little Girls and Motorcycles...

Today I witnessed something that I hope to never again see, although I know it will be playing in my brain for quite some time... I was driving my Lewis route and had just dropped off the 3 sibs and was heading towards Victoria to make a right to drop off my little fish. There in front of me on the NW corner of the street were several of the little girls who normally walk down Victoria in the way of the bus. All of a sudden they were dashing across the street towards the SW corner and out of nowhere came a motorcycle. (It didn't really come out of nowhere, but my eyes were on the children and not the bike coming the other way on 31st.) The motorcycle clipped one of the little girls and completely bowled her over, running over her. She was just laying there in the street, her backpack and jacket strewn across the street and her little body twisted in an awkward position. She didn't move. I was so freaked out. I grabbed my radio and practically yelled in it that I had an emergency and told them what had happened. Because I still had my little fish, baby girl, and Em on the bus I could not get off the bus to see if she was all right - thank heavens there were other adults around and even the motorcycle driver had skidded to a stop and raced over to the little girl. After dispatch notified me that they had contacted an ambulance I had to keep on going and leave the chaos behind me, tending to those three still in my care. It was so emotionally wrecking. I thank heavens that I did have those three on my bus still otherwise my composure would have been out of the window.
I never ever ever want to see that happen again and now I'm going to be even more paranoid about children in and around the streets. I just hope she is okay...

No comments:

Post a Comment